You may have heard the term “ergonomics,” but how much do you understand about it? Ergonomics comes from the root érgon, which means “work” in Greek. Simply put, ergonomics is the study of interaction between humans and equipment. Our motorized trailer dolly is ergonomically designed to make it easier for workers to move trailers and other wheeled equipment.
According to the National Safety Council, overexertion is the second leading cause of workplace injuries. Use these tips for improved warehouse ergonomics to reduce the risk of musculoskeletal injuries that can become chronic.
Tips for Improving Warehouse Ergonomics
1. Simplify material handling tasks wherever possible.
Are your workers performing a lot of manual tasks? For example, handling containers can involve lifting, lowering, filling, emptying, and carrying. Each one of these procedures places significant strain on the musculoskeletal system.
Our full line of material handling equipment is ergonomically designed to take the load off your employees. We have tugs, movers and pushers ranging from our CartCaddyLite to our motorized trailer dolly.
2. Implement effective work habits.
Is safety a major element of your workplace culture? When you demonstrate a commitment to the safety and well-being of your workers, they’ll follow suit. This is also a great way to improve employee morale.
Here are some programs you can use to make safety a priority:
- Repetitive motion greatly increases the chances of injury. Institute a job rotation schedule to reduce undue stress.
- Develop a comprehensive training program centered on proper material handling techniques.
3. Set up an ergonomically designed workplace.
Even when employees are stationary, they can become injured from bending, twisting or stretching. Here are some elements to consider:
- Place all materials at work level.
- Equipment such as workbenches should be adjustable to accommodate all sizes of workers.
- Workstations should have enough clearance for employees to move and turn freely.
- Make suspenders, back braces and other wearables readily available.
Choose Our Motorized Trailer Dolly for Enhanced Workplace Safety
Our battery-powered tugs, movers and pushers reduce the risk of workplace injury while improving productivity. Use our handy online chat feature to learn more from our friendly and knowledgeable Sales Engineers.