U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics data for 2016 show that there were five reported non-fatal injuries and illnesses for every 100 full-time workers in the warehousing and storage industry. This rate is significantly higher than the 2.9 reported cases per 100 full-time workers across all industries.
Our electric tugger carts are designed to reduce risk of common musculoskeletal and repetitive-motion workplace injuries. Here are the top four injury hazards found in warehouses along with expert prevention tips.
Collapsing Pallet Racks
Haphazard storage is the most frequent cause of accidents involving pallets. This is especially dangerous in high-pick areas, where momentum can turn the smallest falling item into a serious danger.
– Stack pallets with heavier items at the bottom.
– Leave adequate space between pallets to avoid pallet rack collapses caused by forklifts.
Slips, Trips and Falls
OSHA has determined that slips, trips and falls make up the largest category of general workplace accidents.
– Keep work areas free of clutter.
– Clean up spills immediately.
– Make sure hallways and staircases are well-lit.
Any leak or spill of hazardous material should be considered an emergency, no matter how small the amount.
– Have an effective hazmat plan in place and train all employees.
– Provide access to personal protective equipment (PPE) and current safety data sheets (SDS).
Warehouse environment, operator error, and the condition of the forklift are all factors in crashes.
– Conduct training on forklift operation and common hazards.
– Perform regular inspections and maintenance.
Make Safety a Priority with Tugger Carts from DJ Products
Warehouse activities often involve pushing and pulling, resulting in severe stress on a worker’s body. Our tugger carts eliminate the strain that causes many workplace injuries. Call 800.866.2651 and talk to one of our helpful sales engineers.